Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I be stylin’! (Not. Oh, sooo NOT!)

So it seems that last month I was using my knee walker as a crutch (so to speak), which prompted my meanie doctor to force me to give it up so I’d put more weight on my foot. 

IMG_1187

I was not happy to give up my knee walker because it made living with a broken ankle bearable.  I could get around incredibly quickly, use my hands, and carry stuff from place to place in the handy-dandy basket.

Once my knee-walker was gone, I was forced to use crutches to get around.  While I hated the crutches, I had no choice but to use them.  Fortunately my cool storm trooper boot provided my foot comfort and security and I was pretty mobile using both together. 

IMG_1147

I dreaded the day when the powers that be would mandate that I give up the boot, but I assumed it was still a few weeks off.

Wrong.

I went back to Harborview’s Foot and Ankle Clinic today, expecting to be told that it was time to give up the crutches and walk using just the boot.  But nooooooo…  Instead, Dr. Benirschke the meanie, insisted that I lose the boot and keep the crutches! 

Nooooo!  Say it isn’t so!

But it is.  Over the next week or so, I need to phase from wearing the boot all the time, to wearing it less and less and wearing – gasp!!SHOES more and more.

Shoes?  But not a single shoe in my closet fits my still-swollen left foot!  How on earth will I transition out of my sweet, secure boot?

After my medical appointment, Tom and I went to our favorite Mongolian Barbeque, where I got this fortune:

IMG_1604

Uh – huh.  Wonders!  You want to see my new look? 

Well, there’s this corset-looking brace gizmo (very Little House on the Prairie, isn’t it?) that gets laced up and strapped around my foot and goes inside my shoes.

IMG_1607

Are you wondering where all those straps go?  Yeah, me too!  They get pulled and wrapped and tightened around my foot, like this:

IMG_1609

And then…

(Now don’t laugh. Really, it’s been a tough year and a tough week, so be nice.)

Over that lace-brace (which my insurance company will pay a hundred frikken dollars for!), I put on this:

IMG_1610

You better believe I need that wide width!  Getting the shoe on my foot was excruciating, but I did it.

IMG_1613

(That wide gap  between shoe hemispheres reminds me of my rectus abdominus muscle after my twin pregnancy!)

So yeah, this is my new look that, according to my fortune, will “do wonders”:

IMG_1616

Thank goodness for wide sizes and long, stretchy laces! 

I’d like to tell you how I feel about all this, but I really don’t know how I feel about it yet.  Yes, I know that I need to progressively get back on my feet (so to speak) and that it won’t be comfortable to get there.  And yes, I know that the pain, even when it’s in my foot, is actually more in my head.  And yes, I know that fear and stress play a big role in how well -- or poorly -- one heals.  (Stress?  By the time I stopped work in the wee hours of the morning on Wednesday morning, I’d already put in 31 hours!)  I know all that.  But I still miss my trusty knee walker… and I will miss wearing my secure storm trooper boot.

I know what you’re thinking.  “Yeah, and in a few months you’ll say how much you miss your old lady sneaker.” 

No way!  That, I will NOT do!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Tonya said...

Well...it's a NICE "new look." And I suspect that it will eventually do you wonders! :o) Ah, man, what an ordeal. Who knew? I always thought: Break a bone, experience some pain, have a cool cast that everyone signs, have it removed, and you're good to go. (Obviously I've never broken a bone. Or three.)

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

honeypiehorse said...

Wow that's a lot of gear. . .

Anonymous said...

It's just one indignity after another. One day you'll look back on this... and be glad it's over!

Lynn

Donna said...

Carol, briefly here cause it's all on healbrokenbone... I hated the cam boot. I hated the crutches. I despised (just one small step short of hated) the brace and the xtra wide MEN'S 2 sizes too big shoes. All the gear is temporary. The more I hated it the more quickly I worked to be without it. And now I am - slowly and ugly but no boot, no crutches, no brace. Just my regular xwide shoes and my own feet. Your new look is a transition. Before you know it, your new, new look will look more like before.

Rositta said...

I still have my Mom's walker in the basement and I am so tempted to use it. But I know that once I do that I may never walk alone again. I have foot surgery coming up soon from the foot I broke two years ago and didn't heal properly. I also have one of those boots still stashed around here somewhere. As to what Tonya said, 20 years ago I broke an ankle and after 6 weeks in a cast when it came off I fully expected to walk out of the hospital. What a shock to discover I couldn't even stand on it. I didn't get any special treatment, was just told to walk slowly until I got used to it...ciao

Goofball said...

hey look at you, you are transitioning to shoes...ok wide ones but already normal shoes.

you are well on your way to total recovery!

Anonymous said...

Carol, I don't understand why your OS made you go into that brace thingy. It looks like it is just as constricting as the boot. Did he say what the difference is? Just know that I broke my ankle at the beginning of December and somehow I was able to wear heels to a wedding in May! I was shocked that I pulled that off! Hopefully, your recovery will be as good as mine ended up being!

Anonymous said...

Carol, that last comment was from Sharon from the ankle blog. I don't know why it went through as anonymous. I told you I'm useless with the computer!

Unknown said...


Good Article Bro, Good Luck For Your Blog Hehehe

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails