Monday, October 08, 2007

Disappointed

I just got a call from the childbirth and doula organization -- at 8 PM. Their board met today and decided to advance two candidates to a final all-day interview.

I am not one of the two candidates.

I was told that, had I been an Executive Director at a non-profit for 5+ years I would have been a "shoo-in for the position," and that I had "more passion than any other candidate" and that they "loved" me... but that unfortunately, my lack of ED (and nonprofit board member) experience was the clincher.

I asked why I was interviewed at all, since it was obvious going in that I lacked ED experience, and I was told that my excitement and passion for the position was "just so great" and that my experience with other non-profits was a big plus. But I still don't get why I was brought this far in the process (this all began in July!) if it was obvious from the day I sent in my resume that I lacked a critical requirement.

Sigh.

I was asked if I'm interested in becoming a board member of the organization. Of course I am; I'd love it.

But oh man, this one hit hard. I really wanted this one. Because really, I would have been great at this one. I would have been great for the organization and the position would have been great for me.

But it is not to be and I must move on.

I have an interview on Thursday with an online learning company that I'm... all of a sudden pretty dang excited about.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Snooker said...

I am really sorry to read this. Your excitement for the position had me "pushing thumbs" for you. Perhaps it simply wasn't meant to be. There must be something else out there for which you are perfect!

vailian said...

Sorry to hear about that, Carol! We are rooting for you anyhow.
You should accept their offer of being on the board – this sounds like something you would enjoy, and (like somebody told me when bad things were happening in my life) you have to start to think selfishly.

Blog Antagonist said...

How disappointing. I am thinking about re-entering the work force after TWELVE YEARS as a stay at home parent, and I know I will be experiencing a lot of disappointment as well. Good luck with the next interview. It might just be the one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It is odd that they kept your hopes up for so long. The right job will come along...it just hasn't found you yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that stinks. But think of it this way- if you get the software job, you won't have to take the no doubt low salary the nonprofit would pay, but you'll get to be on that board of directors to indulge your passion (which I recall way, from way back on the AOL childbirth boards!)

I'm rooting for you. :)

Lynn

Betsy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! But hang in there-- your good karma is bound to boomerang back at you. There's a great position out there waiting for you and I can't wait to hear about it when you find it! :-)

((hugs))

The Giant said...

I am so sorry. And I so understand. I am on the job market, coming off nearly two years as a stay-home mom. It's so hard. I've been rooting for you. (The other irony is that we're thinking of moving to the Pacific Northwest, so I'm looking in that area.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Carol. They don't know what they passed up! I'm sure you would have been perfect or the job.

EuroTrippen said...

Bummer. It's tough when things don't work out, but I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Hopefully something will come along very soon that blows this position out of the water...

My fingers are crossed for your next interview!

Neil @ DNALogic said...

Ouch, hard to hear - I've been the victim of some extreme idiocy at University College London (professor wanted me, lab wanted me, HR said "no can do") It dragged out for 3 months with basically a promise of the job and now, not only have I been rejected (**it happens) but they're refusing to refund my travel costs. And all the time the period where I stopped working to look after my family who were sick gets longer and longer..... Self employment beckons, methinks.

Baba Doodlius said...

Stupid non-profitty place. If they didn't make bad decisions all the time maybe they'd actually *make* some profits! (Kidding.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails